Friday, March 11, 2011

Huayna Picchu



TACA Airlines advertises that it will fly me to the 'Lost City of Machu Picchu'. It only costs $1,844.46 USD round trip currently. I'm sure the pricing changes as frequently as any other trip. This particular flight lands in Cusco. I have read that you have to spend about a week in the central Valley about Cusco and Agua Calientes to acclimate to the elevation before hiking the trail. I was reading this evening about Huayna Picchu. This is the very steep mountain in the background of many Machu Picchu pictures.



I just learned tonight that there are actually houses on Huayna Picchu. I always thought it was just a climb for the view. There are ruins up there! All the more fun in my opinion. It is advertised as being a very steep climb. Check out the fall to the right. I think it's stunningly beautiful!



Note the house to the top left of this picture - then there's a closer picture from a different angle below here. Anyone want to live there with me? Can you imagine?



They only allow 200 persons a day to climb it. You have to signup early in the morning and do it and be off the mountain by 4pm. I'm okay with that because who would want to climb down that mountain after dark?!

No comments:

Post a Comment