Monday, January 17, 2011

Protein

So, this eating plan that my husband and I have been trying to do requires no starches, no dairy and no soy except on the cheat day. Mostly you eat vegetables, legumes and lean proteins.

Protein is the bane of my diet at this point. I'm an un-healthy vegetarian. My protein sources are primarily processed soy or dairy. I'm good with beans and even eat eggs, but I have felt fairly unsatisfied after my meals. When I get some protein in I am satisfied and feel good. I feel so good when I eat the veggies and beans and an egg. I just can't image that as my meal 3 days a week for 6 days every week.

I tried fish the other day. I choked it down. I'll try again. I'm not sure if I can change 40 years of vegetarianism, but I need to get healthy. Removing most of my protein sources leaves me with eggs. I may need to add some whole grains to combine proteins but I feel better without the grains or dairy. I'm open to fish I guess. My husband told me the other day that I would be the perfect woman if I ate fish. He loves fish and wants to share that experience with me. Perhaps I'll strive to be the perfect woman.

1 comment:

  1. I can't imagine how hard it would be to switch to eating fish or any animal protein source after being a vegetarian your whole life, but I will agree to feeling satisfied on a diet that focuses on lean protein sources. If you do want to add fish or other, you should try adding into something you'd normally eat and enjoy that is vegetarian, like a yummy thai soup, maybe just start by allowing some fish oil, something where the animal source wouldn't be the focus... start slow. I think adding soy protein is better than grains though... at least for me, I LOVE dairy... but if i eat it even once it throws my whole day off... but if I am limited on options and allow soy... I seem fine.

    ReplyDelete