Wednesday, April 13, 2011

cravings and critters

I'm down 5 pounds this morning. It feels good to finally be making some progress. I still have a couple more pounds heavier than where I was when I started this blog in January, but I'm taking it as a success. I'm also a total of 14 inches decreased overall since the first of January.

I'm doing something a bit different this time round. I have been reading and studying - trying to figure out why I get such intense sugar and carb cravings when I try to reduce them in my diet. It feels like a drug addiction to me. I can't think of anything else and it makes me almost frantic. I have been really frustrated and self critical of myself over this these past few months. In my reading I've learned that you can have an overgrowth of Candida/Yeast in your GI tract and that when you cut out sugar/carbs it results in crazy sugar and carb cravings. The yeast is trying to eat and when you take away it's food source it goes crazy. It's a parasite. It sounds disgusting. I think it is disgusting, but I have to say - I've started treating for GI yeast with medication. I'm not having cravings. Hardly at all. I'm happy with my salads and healthy choices. I'm not obsessing about food. I'm eating when I'm hungry. I even went out to eat last night and passed up the basket full of white bread with out even a moments hesitation or desire.

I'm making some assumptions because I don't really want to pay for the test for it. However some of the symptoms of GI yeast overgrowth are:

1. Gas and Bloating
2. Brain Fog
3. Infections
4. Fatigue
5. Sugar and Carbohydrate Cravings

It all fits and seems plausible. I feel so different. I'm hopeful. I feel in control and able to make the choices I need to. Maybe, just maybe I can get on track now. *happy sigh

1 comment: