Friday, April 15, 2011

A Cup of Tea

It's Friday. My mom is at the beach for the week with her sister. Jacob is off on his school trip. Ethan is playing a video game on the Wii. Elleri is playing with toys next to him and intermittently reading the text from the game to him. Their collaboration is very sweet. Steven is happy and looking forward to the weekend.

I'm sitting here enjoying a cup of tea. My new Chai blend I picked up at Teavana. It's amazingly good. I'm looking at Shelly's picture of a single tulip. It's stunning and simple and beautiful. I plan to paint it. I'm contemplating how to paint a waterdrop. I'm not a painter, not an artist of any kind. I am going to attempt to paint a 40x60 canvas however.

Part of this journey is to create a new me. I haven't liked the 'me' I've been these past 9 years or so in many ways. I think the stresses of little kids and full time work and moving several times resulted in me just coping. I don't feel like I've grown or pushed or expanded my knowledge or skills. My husband is always thinking, learning, processing and pushing himself to be better or smarter. He's working on an anti-resume of things he doesn't yet know or can't yet do. All for the purpose of expanding and bettering himself. My friend Shelly made herself a list - to identify dreams, goals and intents. I think the idea of the anti-resume is interesting and I might undertake that at some point but for now I think I'll share a couple list items. I'm only going to consider a few because I don't want to discourage myself.

Dreams/Goals/Intents

1. Weight loss and better health - I am finally feeling on track. I'm down 6 pounds so far this week. No real cravings. I feel so great. It's amazing how fast the weight is coming off. It's almost as if my body is excited to get to it finally.

2. Travel - I need more trips in my life, even domestic. Of Course - Machu Picchu being the ultimate adventure for me. A summer in Italy or Spain a close second.

3. Spanish - I am going to get started on finishing up my second bachelor's degree in Spanish. I ultimately plan to get my Masters in Spanish. Why? Simply because I want to. There is no other reason and I've finally decided that wanting it is enough reason to do it.

4. Garden - See how far into the winter I can garden. I am hopeful for a big and productive summer garden this year and I really want to learn to cold frame and produce year round. I'm also trying to decide where the best place for my garden to live is at my new property. Perhaps I'll plant 3 test gardens this year and see which grows best. Hmm. That's a new and possibly good idea. I'll ponder that some more.

5. Exercise and outdoor activities - I want regular exercise to be a habit. I also want our family to do outdoor things for family time. Kayaking, rafting, walking, biking, whatever. This one will take time for all of us to become accustomed to.

6. Do something outside my box - This is going to be a painting I think. I want to stretch myself. Try something new.

This is it. My imagined tulip painting. Soon. Thanks for the inspiration Shelly!

My quiet moment is past, I now have a VERY loud and full house. I am watching friend's kids while they are out for the evening. Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment