Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Green Smoothies



I didn't have any greens today and I really wanted to go buy donuts instead of greens, but the greens won out. I told a friend I'd make her some to try, so I made two different kinds today. I'm grateful to have had a motivator to make up the green smoothies today. I think days at home will be harder than work days. Maybe because they are less structured? Regardless, I'm going to try to be healthy and productive.

These are the ingredients and the end product:


Kale, Mango and Banana


Red Chard, Blueberries and Hood River Peaches

They are really simple to make, which is good for me since I'm especially challenged in the kitchen. You put about 3 cups of filtered water in the Vita-mix and then add a bunch of greens. Mix up the greens in the water until it looks like green water(or whatever color the greens make, Red Chard makes a reddish color). Then add fruit. I prefer frozen fruit because it makes it cold and a bit slushy. You can adjust the fruit/greens ratio to taste. I prefer 1 bunch of greens with a banana and 1-2 small bags of fruit. It's about 60-70% greens and 30-40% fruit. Some people add flax seed also but I don't like the gelatinous texture with the flax. You can use any greens you want, but make sure to mix it up. You don't want to eat the same type every day.

I think they are amazing and love the way they make me feel. I'm off to clean the house and I plan to catch up on some Tivo'd showed on the elliptical today. Here's to a good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment