Thursday, February 24, 2011

The Market

I've been buying groceries, fruits and veggies mostly, at Whole Foods. It's pretty in there. Colorful and it leaves me feeling healthy even though you still need to shop carefully in there if you want to be healthy.



One of the things I loved about living in Costa Rica was the daily process of going to the market. We mostly ate fruit off trees on the property where we lived. There's nothing better in my opinion than a fresh picked mango for breakfast. Insanely good. We bought whatever else we needed, grocery or otherwise at the markets. There was a couple of them but they were all a U shaped counter with the entrance to the store at the top of the U. There was no browsing. There was no impulse shopping. You stepped up the counter and asked for what you wanted and then they went back into the rows of stuff and brought you what you requested to the counter. It was how they managed shoplifting, but seriously - just try to image me, barely speaking Spanish at the time, trying to ask for what I wanted. I didn't live in the retirement/vacation areas of Costa Rica. I lived in a little town that didn't have much in the way of English speaking amenities. In fact, I went to the local 'bi-lingual' school, where the rich kids went, to offer to volunteer. I was lonely and thought I could trade time for some Spanish lessons. It was amazing that the teachers that spent 50% of their time teaching English could not understand nor speak with me. I ended up teaching their teachers in exchange for some Spanish instruction and it was a win for everyone. However, those initial market experiences were crazy. Thankfully the Costa Rican people have a good sense of humor and are patient. I am looking forward to getting to know the Peruvian markets and people. I love all the fresh produce and the beautiful colors. A friend of mine took pictures of the Peruvian markets when she was there and there were pig heads. I have to be honest, I am not looking forward to them.





Hopefully, I will get to visit this market in Cusco in person someday soon.

1 comment:

  1. The markets are the best!!! I love them AND the pig heads! :)

    ReplyDelete