Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Dairy and Gluten Free

So - I've successfully been caffeine free for weeks now. I have to admit I still miss the Diet Pepsi, but I really like how I feel caffeine free. I sleep more normal, I don't have the highs and lows associated with caffeine for me. It's good and it feels good.

Next: Dairy and Gluten.

This one will take longer to accomplish I'm sure. What I do know is that dairy messes with my insides. I also know that gluten often goes hand in hand with a diary intolerance. I don't think I have Celiac disease, but about 30% of people in the US have an intolerance to gluten. I'm going to check it out. The best way is to eliminate it and see how I feel. So - here I go.

Elleri and I shopped gluten free this afternoon - it was really fun to teach my kidlet about healthy choices. Now to live it. Today was okay - I got too hungry at one point, but I have all sorts of healthy gluten and dairy free choices now to choose from. That's what I get for shopping hungry.

My mom is sick. It sucks. I don't enjoy this phase. I want the old her back. It's not happening. Here's what I can do tho: I can be healthy and make good choices. I can prevent or at least delay my own illness and death for my husband and kids.

Wikipedia says that obesity is one of the leading preventable causes of death worldwide. On average, obesity reduces life expectancy by six to seven years: a BMI of 30–35 reduces life expectancy by two to four years, while severe obesity (BMI > 40) reduces life expectancy by 10 years.

Yes, My BMI falls in that last category. 10 years I stand to lose. 10 years to not know my kids and my someday grandkids. 10 years to not be with my husband. I need to lose 50% of my BMI to be in a healthy range.

I'm not sure how I am going to accomplish this, but I do know that I don't back down from much of anything in my life. I'm stubborn and persistent in most areas. I plan to turn these personality traits at my health. I might ... in fact, I know I will... fail a few more times. I'm going to keep at it. I'm going to be healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment